Thursday, January 29, 2009

He Doesn't Know He's Gay--And He Never Will

I have a guilty pleasure on morning when I don't have school. I like to wake up around 7 or 8 am and watch a slew of morning televison, while drinking coffee. Beginning with the Today show, due in part to my girl crush on Anne Curry, and ending with a local morning show called Studio 5.



**I must put a disclaimer on this next portion. I in NO way object to homosexuality. I love the gays! Be proud.**



Studio 5 is an annoyingly positive, local morning show co-hosted by a man named Darin. The problematic thing is, Darin doesn't know he's gay. Neither does his wife or his four children. Darin takes great pleasure in segments that involve arts & crafts. Thrusting all his creative efforts into segments, teaching the audience how to make everything from personal journals, bags made out of old sweaters, a tie pillow for dad, and most recently a Valentine's Day countdown jar. At first I thought, 'maybe he's just really committed to his job and wants to make it seem legit'. But the look on his face as he wielded that glue stick, and so professionally applied it to the paisely paper, that was to become the cover for his personal journal; reminded me of a drag queen expertly handling a tube of lipstick. Out of curiosity I visited the Studio 5 website (I wanted the exact demensions for the Valentines Day jar....I swear!). After nosing around the site for a few moments I came to the about section, which contained a synopsis of the show. I thought this portion was especially enlightening, "Every woman needs a Studio…someplace she can dream, plan and create and that's just what we hope to do on Studio 5." If Darin's sexuality was in question before hand, this short sentence only rammed the point home. Something else tipped me off on my continued investigation. I have a sneaking suspicion that the crew is in on Darin's little secret too. They have a daily cooking segment, and during the holidays Darin was part of the 'Fudge Packed Brownies for a Bunch' portion of the show. No doubt Darin has been the butt of many of the crew's jokes. Whether or not Darin will ever come out remains to be seen, however, I will keep watching Studio 5 for my daily dose of overly optimistic medicine.

Fennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment