Saturday, January 31, 2009

Reunion Tour

I am a lover of many things. At the top of my list are Art & Music, but I love them within reason. Imagine for a moment something that you absolutely love. Anything at all. An outfit, a band, a movie, a piece of furniture, a boyfriend, a girlfriend. Now imagine loving that thing/person so much you begin to hate it. I'm sure we can all think of something/someone in life this has happened with. For instance when you first start listening to a band. You get all the albums, you know all the songs, you sing along, you love them. They're all you can talk about. Then they start to get annoying. You get sick of all the same songs and all the same lyrics. Then annoyance turns into frustration. Frustration turns into anger. Anger turns into hate.

I'll be the first to admit that I had an unhealthy relationship with music while in high school. I was obsessed with being the first one to know about undiscovered, on the verge of being famous bands. I'd go to shows at least 3 nights a week. I had no other topics of conversation, but what bands I was listening to, and who I thought was up and coming. I'd spend class time dissecting lyrics to find out what it all meant. I subscribed to all the alternative music magazines so I'd be the first to know about new bands. Then I started to get annoyed, with myself. I had no life. I finally realized there were better things to do on a Friday night, than sitting in my room analyzing Rilo Kiley lyrics.

This time my hate for music is being influenced by an outside source. The outside source is the hipster! The skinny jeans, studded belt, vintage t-shirt wearing hipster. The art classes where I spend my time is a breeding ground for these scarf wearing, messenger bag slung, ipod humping fools! There is more to this awful world than crappy acoustic acts and colorful scarves. Wearing overpriced pseudo-vintage clothes and asinine haircuts does not make you the proverbial shit. These people generally work menial jobs and act like they are gifts to the 'uncultured' and 'mainstream' world. They always seem to talk louder than anyone else too. It's like they want you to hear how cool they are. Talking about the new acoustic Bright Eyes maxi-flex press 7". That only 600 copies were made. That they searched so hard for on eBay, and got for only $200. What a steal man!
Fennifer

1 comment:

  1. I concur. I made a similar post Caitlin: http://www.michaelchagnon.com/archives.php?id=mc9

    You might also check this article out: http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

    ReplyDelete